Wednesday, December 06, 2006

You just THINK you know me...

I've been tagged! Here goes...

Five Things you don't know about me...

1. I come from a long line of Elvis impersonators. Every New Years we all get together and do our best impersonations... it's a big contest. My mom hates Elvis, so she doesn't participate...she does the judging. For some reason, almost every year my brother-in-law Matt wins. Poor Jon, marrying into such a strange family. (you must know-- Jon is a closet Elvis fan. He acts like he hates it, but deep down, he LOVES it!)

2. I was on the dean's list every semester that I was at A&M. It probably has something to do with the fact that I'm married to one VERY smart Asian.

3. I was born with three eye sockets. Talk about scary... it was on my left temple and some awesome surgeons did an amazing job removing it...there's not even a scar. This condition is hereditary...so technically one of my kids could be born with the same issue.

4. I hate the sound of hair being brushed. Eck. It gives me the heeby geebies. So do I brush my hair? Yes. I just turn on something really loud (like the blow dryer) when I do it!

5. My Dad was once a Senator. He only served one term. That's about all I have to say about that.


Can you believe I said all of that with a straight face??

I've always been REALLY good at making up stories. Some people call it lying... I prefer story-telling.

Okay, now for the true stuff.

Without furter ado, Five Things you don't know about me:

1. The way I use my bath towel is very peculiar. Since I was about 10 years old, I've used the side with the tag to dry my body...shoulders to toes. And I've used the side without the tag for my hair and face.

Now, I do have good reason for this... even though I am all clean, I can't be havin' feet all up on my cheek and booty all up in my hair! For real people, unless you send your body through a head-to-toe, hospital grade sanitizer every time you shower, all you free feelin' towel dryers, your icky habits must end!

2. I'm currently learning to read. No, I'm not illiterate. I've just never been a "reader". In fact, it used to amaze me that people would voluntarily spend hours with their eyes glued to something unmoving and black & white. But now, I'm a new woman. I am committed to learning to love reading. We want our kids to be readers...so that means Mom must be a reader!
Which brings me to #3...

3. We don't own a TV. For now this seems like the best option for us...as we can waste hours and hours filling our minds with dramatic story lines! We often wonder how people live WITH a TV and still manage to get everything done. Life is so busy! And any down time we have we try to spend together.

4. I LOVE to cook! Cooking is fun because I get to create something new! I am the ultimate AMENDER! I think I picked up this trait from my mom... I would watch her cook dinner and ask her how much chili powder or marjoram or cumin she put in the pot...and she'd say, "oh, a little sprinkle". At the time, it frustrated me. Now, I love it! Who has time to go to the store because they forgot one ingredient? Definitely not a new (or old :0) mom! So, we just make it work with what we have. This makes cooking so fun! And I get to develop lots of new recipes! Here's one to try out:

Sally’s Pineapple Cinnamon Bread

This recipe is great as a dessert bread or breakfast bread (depending on how you make it). It’s so tasty that it doesn’t even need butter on it!! The ingredients are such that you’ll usually have them on hand if you’re in need of a quick dessert! Enjoy!

Bread:

½ c. butter, softened

1 c. sugar

2 eggs

2 c. white flour (for dessert bread) or wheat flour (for breakfast bread)

1 tsp. baking powder

pinch of salt

1 c. crushed pineapple, semi-drained (save the juice you drain off for the glaze)

1 ½ tsp. cinnamon

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix. Add flour, baking powder, salt, pineapple, and cinnamon. Mix until fluffy.

Bake at 350’F for 30-40 min. in 3 greased mini loaf pans or one reg. loaf pan.

Glaze: (prepare while bread is cooling)(optional)

3 tbsp powdered sugar

1 tsp. butter, melted to liquid

remaining pineapple juice (1/2 c.??)

Mix together until smooth. Allow to cool.

Once bread has cooled, cut bread length-wise and deep without breaking the edge (creating an envelope). Spoon glaze into cut and over the top of the bread. Sprinkle cinnamon over glaze.

5. I gained 39 pounds this year alone. Okay, okay, so I had a baby....that counts, right? And Lynsey, I did it all WITHOUT eating a hunger buster and fries every day for lunch!

Who to tag, who to tag...
Everyone seems to have already been tagged!
Here goes:
Kaye, Mom, Bethan, Amy, Jon
The deal is that you have to list FIVE things the people who read your blog don't know about you. This may be a tough one Mom...but like always, I'm sure you'll pull through. :0)

I would tag Mary, but her baby is due any day now and, well, that just wouldn't be fair.

5 comments:

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

How funny Sally...I was reading that and trying to picture a third eye socket...gross!!!

Carpio Family said...

yeah, i was reading the eye socket thing and was think that hardly possible to remove it since it's an indention of a bone basically, yeah i really think thing over. I heard you were doing a class with Katherine at Gold's?? I haven't seen you in a while, maybe we could work out together some time? Anyway cute blog, we enjoy your story's and the adorable pictures of the baby.

Anonymous said...

Sally, you are hilarious. At the end of those first five, I was thinking, wow, I really had no idea about these things and I just thought I knew her...

Wise words about the towel thing. Now that you say it all, it is rather gross, but have you ever thought about the water seeping through from the booty side to the face side? Just a thought.

Jon and Sally said...

Oh no! We can't have booty water seeping through! Eck! But really, after weighing it, I'd prefer that than increasing my laundry load by a 1/2. I'll take the risk on the booty water.

Kaylene! I'm up for working out! Recently, Bethan and I have been taking classes at noon everyday and sometimes I go at 5:30pm. Let me know what you're up for!

-Sally.

Anonymous said...

Okay, it's so sad how good you are at making stuff up. Seriously. The 3rd eye socket caught me off guard... and then the Senator comment confirmed my theory that you were lying through your teeth. :) Love you.

VOTE STERN VERN FOR SENATE!!

Auntie JEN