Friday, December 05, 2008

Through our Eyes/ Take a Walk

Our Joy Boys
________________

Let's just say this post has been a LONG time coming. Since the day we decided to come home early, it's been a WHIRLWIND.

For so long I've wanted to fill you in on what normal looks like for us here. I regret that I didn't do this sooner. I'm so thankful for the family and friends that got to come visit us while we were here...they really got to see life through our eyes! It's been such a challenge and joy living here that I don't want to miss the chance to share it with you!

Also, Angie tagged me like four years ago but I haven't had the time to post. So here's a fulfillment of sorts...some very random things about this country!! Sorry it's taken so long Angie!
________________________________________________________________

So for a long time I refused to work out/ go walking in my neighborhood because I didn't want to stand out as a foreigner.

Well, we've been here long enough. Everyone knows I'm a foreigner. I'm mean really people, it's obvious. I figure I might as well go ahead and get my exercise...it's surely not making me stand out more than I already do!!

And...before I wasn't really needing to exercise because Jon & I were walking 40 minutes a day to and from the metro to get to our language school. And my oh my, I am NOT complaining!! Could things be ANY more ideal-- that my exercise was built-right-into my schedule?? I didn't even have a chance to get out of it!! LOVED that.

But we're not doing formal language school right now, so in the house I sit. Yep, and something about sitting must make your hips bigger...I'm sure of it.

A mom told me once (I think it was Jenn) that she runs because, with four kiddos, it's the best way to burn the most calories the fastest. Well folks, I think that'd be just about over the top in this country. So I'm sticking to walking. However, every once in awhile I get this strong urge to run. TOTALLY bizarre, I know. But it's one thing I REALLY look forward to....but maybe by the time I get the chance I won't have to wear spandex, get my drift???

Anyway, for the last 3 months, I've been taking the boys for walks several days a week. With Jude in stroller and Brennan in the pack, we'd head out for some fitness, fun, and fresh air. And recently I brought my camera along for some fun. I apologize for the low quality of some of these pictures! I didn't want to draw onlookers, so I was shooting quickly!

Below you'll find a list of fun things we see/ experience while walking, peppered with some not-so-fun things. ;0)

I'm doing this as much for myself as I am for you...ok maybe more. I don't want to forget the life we lived here. It holds so much significance for what the Lord did in us!! And one day Brennan will want to know what it looked like! He was born here!

After reading, you'll see that I have NO problem keeping Jude entertained in the stroller!!

- Chickens. Yep, free-roamin', trash-eatin', street-dominating Chickens. All sizes, shapes, and colors cross our path.If you look really close, on the left side of the picture, you can see where they slaughter the chickens (right there in the street!)

-Bougainvilleas! Most every house has a walled-in terrace here, and some of the walls have these gorgeous flowers hanging over them. I hate the closed-in feeling of all the white washed walls (aka you don't see anyone's yard or front door)...it just seems so unwelcoming! But for me, these flowers scream, "Hey! I would LOVE some visitors!" I like to think that the people who live inside are friendly. ;0)

-Sheep. Often they're herded through the neighborhood leaving wonderful gifts behind them on every last step of the street! This picture is taken standing at my kitchen sink!!


-TRASH. Big nasty piles of yuck-filled madness. The pictures don't even do it justice! Needless to say, here second graders are NOT taught the "Don't mess with Texas" slogan. This was a big shocker when I came but, sadly, I hardly notice it now (unless it smells).

A story on this-- my neighbor & I were once discussing the value of cleanliness in our cultures and she told me it's a HIGH value to keep your house virtually spotless, but LAUGHED when I asked her about the street....like, who in the world would clean the street? ...I guess it's obvious I come from nice, clean suburbia.
This is just across the street from our house.

When the pile gets big enough they burn it. And BOY does it smell GOOD!

-Wild dogs. Yeppers, it's true. But they don't attack. THANKFULLY.

-Construction Equipment! Jude LOVES this one! He identifies each piece as we walk by and repeats them louder if I don't respond to him with a, "You're right, buddy. That IS a backhoe." Seriously. He's a boy.

-Cat Corpses. And live cats too. But, surprisingly, sometimes the live ones are more gross than the dead ones. I don't have a picture for you. That would be morbid.

-Jasmine & Honeysuckle! Again, lovely. Makes my nose happy!

-CONTRAST. It's amazing how the VERY wealthy live right next door to the VERY poor here. These two pictures are both from my neighborhood.
The Rich.

And the Poor.
_______________

Now.
For our house.
You've seen plenty of the inside. Here's a few of around the place.
The pic at the top of our blog is a view of the city from our rooftop!
Our gate and living room balcony.

The view from our living room balcony.
Yep. A Dump!

That Dump sells bricks for building.

The view from our kitchen balcony.

I hope this post even semi-interesting. Just so you know, I've spent 3 months writing it! I just wanted it to be perfect. But, alas, it cannot be. For several reasons, but namely because
1. I am not Brandon nor Bethan Rogers.
2. My life is CRAZY busy at the moment!

Well, at least it's on paper...err...the internet! You know what I mean!
More to come soon!

6 comments:

Birdies said...

I've teared up thinking about "life" for you over the past year. These pictures tell part of YOUR story. I'm sad that you are just now sharing these things now (my fault, I never asked), but I'm thankful that you at least have the memory on.. cyberspace. You have gone and continue to go through so much. In it all and despite all else may you be used by Him for His glory!

I'm lifting up your neighbors. May He satisfy the depths of their longings with LIVING WATER!

The Trombleys said...

I am so glad you did this, Sal! my eyes have studied your pictures in the past trying to see beyond the pictures' edges, so I love having the commentary! Thank you so much for sharing it!

I went for a jog last night and couldn't help but imagine you being with me. I just can hardly wait to hug you!!!!!!! (&your family!)

Anonymous said...

Yep I feel that way about taking pictures too (BBROGERS). I just took pictures of our flat if you want to see. Thankfully, we have a lovely garden view out our window, but it comes at a pretty price.
:)

Glad to see the transition is going well!

Lindsee Lou said...

This was so much more than semi-interesting! Since I clearly never came to visit, I loved this. It really is very interesting to see what's around you and what you see everyday! Thanks for doing this, Sal! :)

Love you!

LKE

Anonymous said...

I loved the post thanks for sharing. Amanda and I can't wait to see you once you both make it to KY. We will being prying for your safe and uneventful return home.

Jennifer Bacak said...

This is a great post! So interesting to me! I'm glad you finally wrote it.
And yes it was me who said that. I'ts funny that you say you would get the urge to run. While running, I often get the urge to walk! (I fight it, though.)
I can't wait to see you guys! When?
jenn