He's totally into playing pretend, helping us cook, reading books to himself, riding his tricycle (...well sitting on it at least!), playing in the SUNshine, and tickles!
Jude is running hard and fast to the terrible twos. He’s giving us a LOT of opportunities to learn about parenting THIS child. Over the past few months we’ve learned…
-that Jude needs bunches of hugs and kisses
-that he needs EYE CONTACT
-that he wants us to get on his level…in play and in discipline
-that strong, harsh words are NOT successful in convincing him of what’s good for him...he needs gentleness and patience! Who knew that the fruits of the Spirit applied to parenting!!!???
-that reading a book ALWAYS calms him down and puts him in a good mood
-music in the morning makes for a good day
-that he WANTS to make us laugh…and when he succeeds in this venture he is VERY pleased!!
We are immersed in language learning at this point. We’re in an Arabic class 5 days/week, 2 ½ hrs per day and both studying individually with a tutor 2-4hrs a week. Not to mention all the time we spend in personal study and of course time out with our local friends!! We have AMPLE opportunity to practice our Arabic and PTL! It’s coming along quickly for us!
For Jude this means that a 20-something local girl comes to watch him almost 4 hrs a day while we’re in language learning (travel time included). At first he seemed to not be adjusting very well…but after talking to my friend Jenn with a lil’ Treston the same age, I found that Jude is QUITE normal! Jude LOVES our new nanny Hoodea!!! His little eyes get bright when she walks into the room! From the moment he met her they’ve had a connection…which is such a blessing to me! She speaks a little more English than I do Arabic, which means we can communicate well enough to tell her what we need her to do for Jude. We’re hoping that during this time we get to bless her and love her!!
My neighbor downstairs, Emen, has become a WONDERFUL friend!! She is always welcoming me in for coffee and a treat and bringing me yummy local delights! We have been able to share together about our “rough spots” in life as well as our joys. When we look back and wonder how we ever ended up in this apartment (it didn’t meet ONE of our top 3 criteria!!), we know for CERTAIN that there was something stronger leading us here! And amazingly enough…she speaks ENGLISH! This meant that I had a friend from the moment we moved in! And Lord knows I needed one!
As most of you have heard…WE’RE EXPECTING!!! Things are coming along very well, it seems. I’ve not had much morning sickness (PTL!), and I feel like I’m gaining more energy every day. I’ve tried to be disciplined about getting at least 8 hrs of sleep every night and exercising regularly, and this has improved my life DRASTICALLY! I don’t even need naps! During Jude’s pregnancy I was VERY sick and napped EVERY day! Of course that meant that I hardly exercised…who wants to when they’re sick every 5 min?? Anyway, we have our first appt on Friday and can’t wait to hear the heartbeat! We should find out the gender sometime in March. We’re due at the end of July…which puts us at 14 weeks today!!
Jon has been working terribly hard at acquiring internet these past few days (which also means LOTS of practice in Arabic!). He’s such a hero for me!! And Jon’s hardwork has been matched by favor from the Almighty One in the eyes of the internet company! So…we’re now on a temporary dial-up connection until our wireless is set and ready to go. Woohoo!! PTL!!!
He’s also reading a book called Tender Warrior which seems to be having a powerful impact on him. He’s also started his seminary courses this semester as well! But I am thankful to say that he’s 3 weeks ahead and STILL excelling in language learning!!
Funny story…
We were on a way to school one day in a taxi (now we take the metro-rail), and we were trying to direct the taxi driver in Arabic. We wanted to tell him to go the big stone archway near our school. Well…the words for arch and diaper are apparently VERY similar! You guessed it!! We told the taxi driver to go to the Big Diaper!! …leave it to us…haha!
I’m sorry you’ve waited SO long for pictures…I hope it was worth it!!
We’ll load some cute videos of our Jude-bug when we have a faster connection!!
We love you!!!!
11 comments:
sally! so great to see an update. (i am loving bloglines.) your haircut looks great, by the way. and CONGRATULATIONS on the pregnancy.
what a testament to God's faithfulness in providing people that speak English, especially your neighbor.
thanks for updating so i can more effectively be praying and praising God for you guys. :)
PTL!!! I needed to see an update and to see that precious face made my day...oh my word...Jude you're not a baby anymore...how did you change so much in less than 4 months...oh but you're cute in everyway! Those teeth...Lord have mercy child...just a growing boy!!
Seriously this post blessed me!! I love you...all 4 of you!!
Sal...sorry i haven't written back...its gonna be long :)
Huge hugs to everyone!!
Jo and John
This is the highlight of my day!! I'm just thrilled to see Jude's face (and yours, too)!! My heart is so full!
I'm so thankful that your neighbor speaks English. Our Father is holding your heart and its needs in His hands!
The Birds love each of you!! Hugs all around!!
Love, Aunt Kaye
PTL for this update! Sally and Jon, that child of yours is beyond adorable. I just wanna kiss all over his face! And Sal I LOVE your haircut!
We miss you so much!!!
I agree!! This post made my day. I've been thinking about you guys alot lately and it is wonderful to hear your doing well and that the Father is blessing you. It brings me great joy! I can't wait for more posts!!
Miss you!
Can you see the tears? Huh? Can you see the tears? I'm so thankful for all that has been done in and around and thru you. Only One could accomplish so much.
I can't wait to see Jude again. Gotta get that webcam going!!
Thanks for sharing all the lessons you are learning about Jude AND about living in a different country. It's good for us to be reminded of your ups and downs.
I love you so very, very much.
Grammie
Yay for an update! Jude is so adorable!! He is getting so big! Sally I am loving the haircut, it looks great!
So good to see your faces. Glad to hear all is with you guys. We love you!
Wow, what a BIG boy you are, Jude! You look like you could be the big brother of the little boy who left 4 months ago! :)
I had to resist breaking down in tears because I miss you guys... even you, Jon, I realized how much I miss even you! You three as a family just bring laughs and joy to my heart!
I am so thankful for the "wilderness" our father took you to so that you could understand him better and know him more and trust him with all the things that your apartment lacks.
I love you guys so much!! Talk to you soon, I hope!
Love,
mary
Love the pics! It's so great to see a new post up. Love you guys immensely!
jenn
Know that I LOVE seeing pictures of your boy! But, do you know how much I LOVE to see a picture of YOU! It thrills my ever livin' heart. HE IS PRECIOUS. AND GROWING SO QUICKLY! I can hardly stand it. I love your hair. :)
Okay, now that you have internet, I plan on emailing you when I get the time to sit down and write one out!
Love the FOUR of you so very much. And miss you more than you know!
Linds
Yay for an update! You and Jude both look great! :) He's getting SO BIG! We are so thankful to know some of what's been going on in y'all's lives. I tagged you over on my blog... maybe you can tell us 6 random things about your country. Love you tons!
Post a Comment