
I’m standing in my kitchen
crying.
Wondering how
I got here.
Wondering what this means
for my family
my marriage
my children
my sisters
my parents
my kindred fellowship.
Wondering if anything will ever happen
here
in this broken land
with these hearts
and God.
Wondering if there’s any purpose
really
in me being here.
Wondering what
good
will come of this.
Missing home
Missing who I could be
so comfortably
back there
and wondering if I’ll ever get to be
that
again
before heaven.
This move has taken me
It’s shaken me
It’s turned me inside out
Now I am
without a doubt
changed.
And something has sprung up
in me
A different sort of depravity
that’s made me cling to all I know
of Him.
The whys
the hows
the hurts
the longing
the hoping
for something I cannot today
and may never see
this side of eternity.
Yet this beautiful Something I’ve come to know
This beautiful Something causes me to hope
This mysterious gift of
faith
that first brought me here.
Now I am in my kitchen
crying
questioning
hurting
missing.
Yet I can see
from this place on my knees
that
faith is believing
that the
great
dark
chasm
between
flesh
and glory
is not too vast
to be crossed by a God who
longs
to bring people to Himself.
He is doing something
not nothing
here.
Though I am not who I say I am
most days,
He is
who He says He is.
And to that I will cling.
He’s given me
this beautiful Something
To believe He is enough
for them
for me.
I have assurance
here
In this mysterious gift of faith.
14 comments:
that was beautiful, sally!
i am in awe of your radical obedience--cling to God, run to Him...i know you already know that. :)
Sally. I know it's been awhile but I think of you and your family often and Sonora and I just finished looking at all the pics of Jude on your blog. She totally remembered him and kept pointing and saying his name. Anyway, I wanted to know if you wrote this beautiful poem. I can so connect. Thanks for writing it. We are both so far from home but learning where home really is. Thanks . Love you. Consuelo.
I did write it! Tears came with every keystroke. But it felt so good to release it on paper.
Thanks for your encouragement. We enjoy hearing your progress and news. Maybe we can skype soon. What's your skype name?
Love you!
Sally
My precious, beautiful friend...
I cried as I read this. I wish I could come sit there in your kitchen with you and talk everything out. Eat some cookie dough. (You're pregnant you have an excuse. I am not pregnant, but i will join you cause I love you)
Your words are beautiful and I know that God is being glorified by the life that you are living.
I was just talking about you at lunch today with Jessica, your friend from Pine Cove. I was talking about how PROUD I am of you and your family, and how you are one of THE STRONGEST people i know. Without a doubt.
I love you sweet Sal.
<3 jiffer markin
This brought tears to my eyes, sweet Sally. I could honestly bawl, because I miss you so very much and ask myself everyday how you do it! You are so strong. Know that. And, even when you are weak, HE is strong in you!
Know, without a doubt, that I am thinking about you all the time and p****** for y'all!
I love you so very much!'
Thank you for sharing your honest, sweet heart with us!
Linds
My dearest Sally!!
My heart is sad...my eyes are welled up with lots of tears...and i just want to hug you! But in this *very* moment...i promise to *fight* for you!
As Linds said...even when you're weak HE is strong...and HE is faithful...and HE is still DAD! Remember what we *always* said.... "Dad will *forever* be better! Nothing compares! Hold tight to that sweet girl!
Know you and yours are *covered* in P*****!!!!!!!!!!!!
My heart was so heavy for you this morning at 5AM on my way to the gym...Let it SHINE girl!! Give it *everything* you've got...HE has not led you to this promise land for merly nothing...STAND FIRM...remmember GREATER IS HE THAT IS IN YOU...THAN IN THE WORLD!!!!
I love you with my whole entire heart.
Jo
Beautiful - just beautiful!
And even more beautiful is that even though it's painful, you are accepting His invitation to His heart.
Sweet Sally,
Before I comment on your poem I have to tell you I was watching some random movie as I cleaned the other day and the character (now forgive me that I can't remember the movie or the name or anything) said "you silly Sally". I just SMILED and thought of you.
I feel like i should comment as Jenn, Lindsee, and Joanna already have.
I LOVEd the poem. Thanks for opening up and being vulnerable and real. I love you and am praying for you. From my limited experiences abroad I know the pain the rawness your hear feels as you think of home. I can't imagine to what your feeling in it's full extent. Your poem shows your faith and that encourages me. Paul says that we are too mutually encourage eachother, well you ENCOURAGE me.
Hang in there, cling to GOd...love and hugs!
I want to rub backs with you and see your face and ring your neck with a bear hug.
Miss you!
Em
Sally,
This is a song by Andrew Peterson that I listened to a lot when we moved...granted it was a much different move than ya'lls! This song reminds me that no where on this earth is really our home, that we are all journeying through this life to our eternal home. It also challenges me to gl*rify Father while I am journeying home. Also be encouraged by h*br*ws 12, specifically verses 12&13 and 18-24, but really the whole chapter! I love you and miss you. Thank you for bearing your soul and showing us how we can p*** for you.
The Far Country
"Father Abr*h*m
Do you remember when
You were called to a land
And didn’t know the way
‘Cause we are wandering
In a foreign land
We are children of the
Promise of the faith
And I long to find it
Can you feel it, too?
That the sun that’s shining
Is a shadow of the truth
This is a far country, a far country
Not my home
In the dark of the night
I can feel the shadows all around me
Cold shadows in the corners of my heart
But the heart of the fight
Is not in the flesh but in the spirit
And the spirit’s got me shaking in the dark
And I long to go there
I can feel the truth
I can hear the promise
Of the angels of the moon
This is a far country, a far country
Not my home
I can see in the strip malls and the phone calls
The flaming swords of Eden
In the fast cash and the news flash
And the horn blast of war
In the sin-fraught cities of the dying and the dead
Like steel-wrought graveyards where the wicked never rest
To the high and lonely mountain in the groaning wilderness
We ache for what is lost
As we wait for the h*ly G*d
Father Abraham
I was made to go there
Out of this far country
To my home, to my home"
Be encouraged by the life of Abr*h*m, Sally, know that you are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses! I will be pr***** that you all run with endurance the race that is set before you. I am going to have to stop writing, or I am going to be a hopeless, teary mess!
thank you, sally. i am glad you are able to write again. It is such a release to be able to translate our thoughts into words and put them down on paper. I struggle with you. Many of the words you said... I feel way over here on the other side. Our world may never be the same this side of eternity without you and your lovely family. You just seem to leave an impression in life wherever you are and wherever you've been.
i love you, estes'! you are always on my heart!!
mary
sweet sweet Sally. You have been on my mind a lot lately. Your obedience and bravery astound me. You guys are such an encouragement to Jon, me and lil Noah:) Stay strong, we will be lifting you and your sweet family up.
On a random note...we are preparing to move to Europe, Germany actually. Jon and I were discussing how amazing it would be to come see you guys! I have no clue how hard it would be, but I am going to start researching. Jon is so encouraged by you all, he just recently started learning arabic, writing and reading it from a friend (he is from Saudi Arabia) he met in Engineering school. Needless to say, he can't get enough of it. So the thought of visiting you all and the work you are doing is exciting.
I would love to chat with you sometime, but Im just not sure how and what the best way would be:)
You need to read my blog. :)
Love you!
Love love LOVE your new layout. Gorgeous, my friend!!
Post a Comment