Friday, July 24, 2009

Happy 1st Birthday B-Love!

There I lay, waiting for you.
So curious what your little heart would become.
Thinking, unlike last time, that I was ready.

I expected you to be handsome, just like your daddy
And perhaps strong like him too.
I hoped JOY for you as I prayed, touching my tiny belly.
I asked for the strength in your name
Brave Prince.
And then there you were, before us...
And the surprises began.

You are tiny, yet resilient.You love our attention
but ask for it with innocence & giggles.
You aren't a showstopper,
but definitely a heartstopper.
Ever since I saw your tiny frame,
you've have had my heart.
And that JOY I prayed for?
He granted.
Your smile's fingertips invite our hearts.
And that giggle gets us EVERY time!
Your tender heart
often lands you with wet cheeks,
but a quiet cuddle
or silly tickle rescue is always a quick fix.
And those two tiny fingers...
thank heavens!
Your surprising curls
endear you to everyone.
What Asian baby has a curly locks?
I once thought you to be suspicious,
but now I know you're just curious.
Which explains why photo ops end in
wide eyes & strange looks.
and remember, being
flexible & ticklish
will get you a long way in life!

Though you reward Daddy & Jude
with great amounts of giggles
It can't hide your loyalty to
your very favorite "Ma-ma".
(just after waking up, this morning)

Brennan,
i loved you tiny
now i love you small
and i'll love you into your big boy days.
but when my mommy days are done
and "mom" i become
i want you to say, first, of this home
that grace was the banner across Jesus' sweet face.
that the bottom line of all of our rules and exceptions
was the Truth of Grace.
Because, sweet Brennan, God's bottom line for you just this:
Jesus' redemption,
the flawless Love, broken for grace.
I hope our home inclines you to know Him
and love Him with as deep as that heart of yours flows.

You've changed this house
and we're celebrating you today B-love.
Happy Birthday Baby.
We love, love, love, love, love you!!

10 comments:

Jules & Vern said...

So sweet and awesome your post, Mama Sally. I had tears in my eyes throughout reading it.
Brennan, you are truly a joy. My hearts bursts with joy at your sweet smile. And who ALWAYS greeted me with a huge grin when I got home from work??? YOU!!
I love you, my B-Loved!!
Grammie

Jon and Sally said...

So I have two disclaimers:

1) After writing this post, I realized that my Brennan came out sounding like an angel. He's not. He's got a sin nature like the best...err worst of us. Trust me, I know. I'm his mom. :0)

2) It seems like Brennan's hair gets more curly BY THE DAY! I got some great shots of it today. That one I posted just doesn't do justice. More on that & how Brennan inherited more of my Mom than I did in a later post.

Sally

The Boudreaux Family said...

Beautiful. You have a way with words.

Birdies said...

B-Love! I want to cuddle you, Little! I want to get the "be still my heart" smile that you so sweetly display!
Would you like to come over to play? The girls made you a birthday cake. And Gracie can't stop singing happy birthday, "b-nan"!
I love you!

The Trombleys said...

What a wonderful way to commemorate your son, Sal! It was beautiful! I am so thankful for you and your family and the hearts that you and Jon are rearing together to become like Christ.

Little B, you are a great blessing to this world. i can't wait to watch you grow!

Love
mare

Bingiee said...

John and Sally -

Your pictures should win an awards SOMEWHERE. The boys are beautiful. Hope things are going well with you!

We followed your link from the Birkenfeld's blog.

Bingiee & Cara

Michelle said...

Your pictures are perfect. Your words are beautiful. I so enjoy your blog posts, Sally. What a cute little guy!

Jenny said...

Oh, happy birthday, precious boy!

Sally Ann... you are such a good mommy. Just watching that video I had tears in my eyes seeing what a beautiful family you have... such a beautiful life. Praise the Lord!

John and Joanna said...

hi!!! Girl i was thinking the same thing when i was running, wishing you were there with me too :)

I love you dearly! I miss you TONS!!!! Seriously we have to PLAN a catch up! I hate that we have to plan but, i guess thats life!!

I love you sweet Sally!!

Happy Belated Bday to B!!!!

The African Groggs said...

oh he's a year old already!!!! was just thinking about you guys the other day when bryce and susie had their baby girl! wish you were still here playing with us :) we will be in louisville in Nov!! will you be there for us to see???? it would be so fun to get together in america!!!! love your sweet thoughts to baby b!