Sunday, August 31, 2008

You Show Us How

(I'm posting this early...for longer enjoyment!)These are just a few of MANY tears this man has cried for me.
For us.
For his sweet grandbabies.
For the the four daughters he raised.
For the wife he's loved faithfully for 31 years.

My dad & I took this picture just hours
before our plane left the ground to head to Africa.
And I don't think he's stopped grieving since.

I guess I'd say that I've witnessed very few people love the way
my dad loves.
To Dad loving is serving.
He never seems to stop.
Since I was a kid I can remember my dad
doing dishes,
cleaning house,
doing laundry,
fixing things,
getting coffee for my mom in the morning,
mowing his grandmother's lawns,
stopping to help a stranger fix a flat,
helping his employees with numerous needs,
and literally helping old ladies cross the street.

But his love didn't stop there...
with four daughters
he could have checked out,
decided girls weren't his thing,
disengaged,
gone off with his man friends to do manly things.

But instead,
He listened,
He hugged tears away,
He insisted on our heart's best,
He met the boys that wanted to date his girls,
He showed us how a husband should love his wife,
and He apologized when he messed things up.

And in turn, it's shaped my view of love in a very unique way.
I love the way I do, in part, because my dad loved me well.
I consider that I HIGH privilege in the world today.

I'm celebrating you today dad.
I'm cherishing our memories together
and thanking God for giving me such a special gift,
a very present,
ever-loving,
hug-giving,
wife-keeping,
baby-lovin',
self-sacrificing
Dad.

I say this every year
--every anniversary, every birthday, every father's day--
but thank you,
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
for loving Mom...
not just tolerating her or just living with her
but LOVING HER.
Thank you for keeping your promise.
Thank you for loving her still today.
Your love shows us how.

Thank you for loving us so well.
Thank you for embracing my Jon as a friend and son.
Thank you for giving our sweet Jude & Brennan
a special place in your heart.
Thank you for counting the cost daily so that the nations can know.
You're paying a high price for us being here.
Thank you.

Happy Birthday Dad.
I love you dearly.

4 comments:

Jules & Vern said...

Thank you for all the kind sweet words. Yes I do miss ya'll bunches. Times will change, and someday we will hug again soon. You do make my tears of thankfulness flow. I am so blessed that they are tears of joy and good in the past and to come, and not tears of aches and tears from missdeeds and self-impossed hardships. Yall are always loved and cherished,
dad
And LOVE having Julie as my bride, and its always been a cakewalk!

Jules & Vern said...

I really don't think I've been THAT hard to live with...well, maybe I have and just don't know it. At any rate, I'm glad he's chosen to stay married to me, too!!!
Your words were perfect and full of truth. I have a marvelous husband whose been a terrific daddy, too.
I love you all,
Mama

Lindsee Lou said...

This is precious. You are such a good writer, Sal!

Happy Birthday to your precious Dad!

C. Allyn said...

That was amazing Sally.
I love the pic of you holding Jude, looking eye to eye.
I think of you all often.
Keep up the great blog site.
Celeste